Delaware’s Underground Storage Tank (UST) regulations were completely revamped last year and became effective January 11, 2008. In order to comply with the Federal Energy Policy Act (EPCT) additional changes are now proposed within the draft.
The draft UST regulations and a spreadsheet listing the changes are available at DNREC’s Division of Air and Waste Management website. A public hearing is scheduled for April 21, 2009 at DNREC’s Lukens Drive Office.
The most significant changes in the current draft include:
- the addition of an operator training program;
- prohibition of new USTs within specific distances from public, industrial or domestic wells;
- retrofit/upgrade requirements;
- a new option for modified inventory for used oil USTs; and
- changes in routine inspection frequency to a range of 28-31 days.